Saturday, July 4, 2009

80s pop songs that don't suck

I loathed the 80s. Really. 80s pop music. Yuck.

These are the number 1 hits from the 80s-
Number 1 80s hits

I looked through it and I suddenly wanted to call my therapist.

Sure there were some great pop albums in the early 80s (Double Fantasy, Blondie, and I will even grant you Thriller -- even though I can't listen to it.. I'll admit that it was well crafted but when I sit and try to enjoy Billie Jean... well.... it just doesn't move me.)

I will repress my inner Jack Black at the moment and will share with you My favorite 80s moments,
I've left out some stuff... like the Eurythmics.. because as much as I loved Sweet Dreams-- it used to piss me off that the song never seemed complete.

I would include When Doves Cry but....You Tube has restrictions on it... go figure..

I realized something about these songs after I listed them... all the melodies...well.. resolve...

I don't really like intellectualizing this stuff... pop songs are powerful w/o intellectualizing...so just enjoy.













2 comments:

  1. Of all the 80s pop songs, and I do like them all, Cyndi Lauper gets me every time. Her lyrics are pointed and her anger is palpable in that song. I like when she flies around in the trash can too. Very anti-Madonna. I dug Madonna until she came out with her Sex book and that crap Justify My Love song. Uh, can you say "trying too hard to be nasty?" Prince did it better in the early 80s, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And when I said, "I do like them all," I was talking about the songs in your post only. All 80s pop? Barf!

    ReplyDelete