Friday, July 3, 2009

and then there was this.... the Irish Mexican

I don't drink. I used to. But... it's just too much trouble. It's one of those basic universal laws you can't get something for nothing. So it is with drinking, you drink , you feel good... next day... the universe forces you to pay up.
And so it is with me. The universe forces a higher tax on me than with most...even with a couple of beers my hangovers are just terrible.

I used to love Guinness Stout...because it was dark and chocolatey... AND because I think I was Irish in a former life (I'm also sure that I was a rabbi... thus my love of klezmer music... oy!)

Today I will share one of my favorite Irish songs with you.

She moved through the fair.

There is NO way to put a happy spin on this song. It's dark, depressing and haunting.
Here is a version of it by an Indian woman. Her voice is simply amazing. I've heard dozens of versions of this song. This is one of my favorites.




While You Tubing I found this version,
WOW



The riff has been used for other songs.... some Zeppelin songs owe quite a bit to Davey Graham's version ... but Simple Minds reworked it for a more ...well a bit more optimistic song called Belfast Child

2 comments:

  1. So, if I prefer dark Mexican beer (Negra Modelo, Dos XX Amber), am I therefore Mexican Irish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sir... you are just a conoisseur!

    ReplyDelete