Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Skip James, Blind Willie

I love to mouth off about what I love.
And I mouth off about people who have been the soundtrack of my life.

This time... it's Skip James and Blind Willie Johnson...
To blues fans and music decadents...and old fogies, Skip James ain't nothing new.
He's the guy who wrote "I'm So Glad"... which Cream covered in the 60s.
Skip James was a totally different guitarist than say....Robert Johnson.
For one thing, he doesn't have the legendary status of Robert Johnson.
He didn't have the dramatic panache, or the ominous satanic overtones.
And he didn't sound like three guitar players playing at once....
But he was quite incredible. I love Robert Johnson too..but something about Skip James is soulful beyond Robert Johnson's theatric stylings. Don't get me wrong "Come on in my kitchen" is an incredible moment in American music but Skip James' I'm so Glad is well...nothing short of astonishing.


Here is Blind Willie



Skip James

No comments:

Post a Comment