Friday, June 26, 2009

Lalo Guerrero

OK.. so I started this as another exercise in narcissism.
I love telling people about ME. Because, face it, I am fascinating (actually you don't know that yet..but you will)

But the more I get into this, the less its become about ME.. and the more it is about what I find on You Tube.
I've become a little of a You Tube archaeologist.
I find things that amaze me.
You know, I thought that I would be doing a lot more "analysis" here... not so much.
More and more, I find myself just being in awe.

Lalo Guerrero is someone that I'm in awe of.
His career spanned --- well the second half of the 20th century.
He is known for starting Chicano music and chances are that if you were alive last century, and you are Mexican or Chicano, you've heard his music.
When I was a child I knew Lalo Guerrero for doing Mexican Alvin and the Chipmunks type songs, before Alvin and the Chipmunks...
Panfilo!
http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:En%20La%20Navidad:1922004715

For a full discography... here's his son's web site
http://markguerrero.net/misc_21.php

But my favorite Lalo Guerrero song is Los Chucos Suaves .
It's evocative, hip, swinging and sexy.
I heard Chucos Suaves sung by Olmos in Zoot Suit, when I was 12 and it stuck with me for years, I just didn't know what it was called.
And thanks to Arhoolie records, I found the original along with other really fun recordings (if you like guitar music check out Jorge Cordoba's Frijole Boogie ...in my best Jack Black..."tasty"...).

Buy it...it is extremely good...and if you do.. buy it from Arhoolie, they're good people-- they're not a corporation and have been keeping folk music alive for years.
http://www.arhoolie.com/titles/7040.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment