Monday, June 29, 2009

Elliot Smith

Well,
Jack Black once asked me..."What's with you and this sad sack music?"

I replied, "What's with you and Led Zeppelin? I'm from San Antonio-- we cut our teeth on those pathetic Brits... Move on!!! "

"Touche"

Elliot Smith---
Yes, he was our generation's Nick Drake... actually Nick Drake was our generation's Nick Drake. But that's another story.

I like many of Elliot's songs but this is my favorite.



It's the ultimate song of unrequited love.
However, it was about his mother.

The thought takes me to another Eliot... T.S. Eliot
“There's no vocabulary For love within a family, love that's lived in But not looked at, love within the light of which All else is seen, the love within which All other love finds speech. This love is silent”


This love is silent? Family love that is silent? Obviously T.S. never met a Mexican mother.

But the truth of "familial love" being the love through which all other love finds speech... is true.

And Elliot Smith's cry, "Never gonna know you now, but I'm gonna love you anyhow", is sorrowful and lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment